Monday, March 1, 2010

Fun in the Cold


One problem I think a lot of people, especially kids, face in the winter is how to be active despite the weather. When it's nice outside and the sun is shining I feel like it's pretty easy to get out and be active. Some adults get over this barrier by joining gyms, but what are our kids supposed to do? With this in mind, I looked around and tried to come up with some ideas.

First off, the most obvious activity associated with a Utah winter is hitting the slopes. I grew up in Colorado and always loved going to snowboarding. However, although it is a fun way to stay active, for many families it is not a financial reality. Sure, a couple times a year might be in the picture, but certainly not a weekly activity. So what else is there?

As for free options, you can always simply enjoy the outdoors. Get outside, build a snowman, make a snow angel, build a fort...the options are endless. I did find a good list of sledding hills in Utah County, check it out here. Some of the areas you do have to pay but there are a decent amount of free ones, too.

If you get sick of the cold there actually are quite a few indoor options here in Utah County. Several of these have family rates as well as decent monthly rates. The appeal varies according to the age of your children, but check them out.

Peaks Ice Arena
Utah Valley Rec Centers
Jumping Jacks
Kangaroo Zoo

So although the options might no be ideal when the weather turns cold, there are still plenty of things to do other then spending every day curled up next to the TV. And hey, at the very least kids can always help you shovel the walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment