One great thing about living here in Utah County has to be our proximity to the mountains. Not only do we get beautiful views but it also can be a great resource to teach our kids to be active. In the winter there is skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and sledding. Now that the weather is warming up, we get hiking trails! I've done my fair share of hiking since I've lived here, however I've always felt like I can do more. From waterfalls to mountain peaks, there are plenty of aspects that our children can fall in love with.
Here's a small list of local places that I've gone hiking that would be appropriate for kids. First off is the ever popular Y trail. It's a relatively easy hike although can be though during the heat of the summer. It's normal to see families there, this website has info about how to get there.
Another easy yet beautiful hike is the Provo Canyon trail. It's a paved trail and you might have to watch out for bikers, but it stays fairly shaded and offers beautiful views along the Provo River. At the end you're rewarded with an up close look at Bridal Veil Falls. Check out this website for more info.
In addition to these I've also done Timpanogos Cave and Mt Timpanogas itself. I would recommend both however the later is fairly difficult and would be appropriate only for older children. Other than that check out BYU's hiking page for a more comprehensive look at hiking trails in Utah County as well as their difficulties.
Overall we are lucky enough to have many opportunities here to enjoy nature and teach a healthy, active lifestyle. Most of these don't require any money, too. So once again, get out, enjoy life, and teach your children how amazing a healthy lifestyle can be.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely want to take advantage of the beautiful place we live in before I graduate.
ReplyDelete